The Founder (May God have mercy upon him)
Early life and his education:
Born on the sixteenth of the month of Shaaban 1349H (corresponding) January 5, 1931 in the city of Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia. He grew up under his father King Abdul Aziz, founder of Saudi Arabia, and learned the Koran and Arabic language by senior scientists and expanded his knowledge through his intensive reading in the fields of knowledge, diplomacy, and through his multiple visits.
His Official Participations:
He participated in most official Saudi delegations headed by King Faisal bin Abdul-Aziz to attend Islamic and Arab Summit Conferences and Sessions of General Assembly of the United Nations.
Prince Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz chaired official delegations in multiple foreign visits includes the Kingdom Delegation in the ceremonies of the United Nations 1985 1985 on the occasion of the forty years of its founding and its fiftieth anniversary in 1995.
His Highness also chaired the Saudi delegation participating in the High-level Plenary Meeting of the United Nations General Assembly held at the headquarters of the United Nations in New York in 1426H (2005) on the occasion of the sixtieth anniversary of the Organization.
In the month of Dhul Qa’dah 1428H, HH chaired the Saudi Arabia delegation at the Third OPEC Summit held in Riyadh.
His Highness held many positions since his father era King Abdul-Aziz Abdulrahman Al Saud as follows:
- Riyadh Prince on Feb 22, 1947.
- Minister of Agriculture on Dec 24, 1953.
- Minister of Transport on Nov 5 1955
- Minister of Defense and Aviation on Oct 21 1962.
- Second Deputy of Prime Minister on June 13 1982 as well as his responsibilities as a Minister of Defense and Aviation and General Inspector.
- Crown Prince and Deputy of Prime Minister on Aug 1 2005 as well as his responsibilities as a Minister of Defense and Aviation and General Inspector.
Committees and Councils:
His Highness took over the chairmanship or the presidency of a number of councils and committees, including:
- Chairman of the General Authority of Civil Aviation.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the General Organization of Saudi Arabian Airlines.
- Chairman of the Supreme Committee for Economic Balance.
- Chairman of the General Organization for Military Industries.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the National Commission for the Protection and Development of Wildlife.
- President of the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.
- President of the Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Charity Foundation.
- Chairman of the Ministerial Committee on Environment.
- Chief of Strategic Storage.
- Chairman of the Special Committee of the Council of Ministers.
- Chairman of the Supreme Committee for Education Policy.
- Chairman of the Ministerial Committee for Administrative Organization.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Saudi Food & Drug Authority (SFDA) .
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Arab World Encyclopedia.
- President of the Saudi side in the Yemeni Saudi Coordination Council.
- President of the Saudi side in the Saudi-Qatari Coordination Council.
- Vice President of the Supreme Council of King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology.
- Vice-President of the National Security Council.
- Vice President of the Supreme Council for Petroleum and Minerals Affairs.
- Vice President of the Supreme Investment Commission.
- Vice President of the Supreme Economic Council.
- Vice President of the Family Council.
- President of the Supreme Council of Manpower.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Supreme Commission for Tourism.
- Vice President of the Supreme Council for Administrative Reform.
International and Domestic Medals:
- The First Class Medal of King Abdul Aziz on 11/7/1393H.
- National Medal of Chad from Chad on 11/10 / 1392H
- Medal of the National Lion of Senegal on 14/10/1392H.
- Medal of National of Merit of France on 11/4 / 1393H.
- Medal of Al-Garran Karachi from Italy on 7/5/1393 AH.
- Medal of the Umayyah Ze Aleqad of Syria in 15/1/1395H.
- Nile Medal from Egypt on 21/2 / 1396H.
- First Class Medal from Kuwait on 21/3/1396H.
- The highest medal in Niger from Niger on 30/3/1396H
- Medal of Greatest Editor Simon Boliver of the first class of Venezuela on 7/5/1396 AH.
- Medal of the greatest leader of Pakistan on 17/10/1396 AH.
- Medal of Honor from Sudan on 7/11/1396.
- The Greatest Medal of the Blessed Cloud of National China, 24/7 / 1397H.
- Medal of Maha Putra Oyrawana of Indonesia on 26/10/1397H.
- Medal of Mono of greater officer from Togo on 2/5/1398H.
- Zaire National Medal of greater officer from Zaire on 11/1/1399H.
- Medal of Mohammedi of second class from Morocco on 23/6/1399H.
- Knight Medal of the Grand Class from Sweden on 17/4/1401H.
- First Class of Knight Medal from Malaysia on 29/11/1401H.
- First Class Medal of Education from Denmark in 16/6/1404H.
- Medal of Palestine Star of excellent class from Palestine in 12/2/1418H.
- Medal of unity of the first class from Yemen in 6/3/1422H.
- Medal of the highest human Honor from Sweden in 26/12/1428H.
- Medal of Carlos III from Spain on 2/6/1429H.
His Highness has been granted a number of Appreciation Certificates from Scientific and International Foundations including:
- Shield of the First Arab Environment Man, in 1996.
- Honorary Doctorate certificate from the Islamic University of Malaysia, 2000.
- Honorary Doctorate certificate from Al-Jazeera University, Sudan, 2001.
- Sheikh Rashid Award for Humanity Character in 2002.
- Honorary doctorate certificate from the British University of Cranfield for Space and Aviation Sciences. The University also selected him to be a personal figure in 2003 in recognition of his efforts in the field of civil aviation and military.
- Peace and Environment Award from the Arab-European Cooperation Center in 2003.
- Honorary Doctorate certificate from Waseda University, Japan, 2006.
- Honorary Doctorate certificate from Moscow Institute of International Relations, Federal Republic of Russia, November 2007.
- Honorary Doctorate certificate from King Saud University, Riyadh, September 2008.
His works in the field of charity organizations:
His Highness has a great record of charitable works inside and outside and these works have been converted to organizational work supervised by specialized charity foundations to organized its works and ensure its continuity. The most significant these organization are the following:
Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz Charity Organization and Prince Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz Private Committee of Relief. A brief summary of each as follows:
Firstly: Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud Charity Organization:
It seeks to achieve its goals through a number of projects and activities, the most prominent projects and activities are the following:
- Sultan Bin Abdul-Aziz Humanitarian City (City Link).
- Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz Program for Medical and Educational Communications (Program link).
- Sultan bin Abdul Aziz Center for Science and Technology (Scitech).
- Program of Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud Charity Organization for Housing (Program link).
Secondly: Prince Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz Private Committee of Relief:
The committee aimed to provide human, emergency, and relief services which started from Niger on 1998 by the guidance of His Highness (May God have mercy on him) named Private Committee for Relief I Niger and then Mali has been added on 1419H corresponding to 1999.
On 2000, its work has been expanded to Chad, Ethiopia, Malawi, Djibouti, and other countries. The committee operated public medical and relief caravans to combat common diseases such as malaria and blindness. It has also established several developmental, social and health projects, including drilling wells, build schools, public libraries, mosques, hospitals and dialysis centers.
The prominent chairs and scientific programs:
His Highness supported and sponsored a number of chairs, programs, and scientific awards including:
- Prince Sultan Chair for Health Awareness and training teachers in UNISCO, established on March 2001.
- Prince Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz Chair of Environment Engineering in Civil Engineering Dept. at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals and considers the first chair, program, and scientific awards in the university.
- Prince Sultan bin Abdul Aziz Chair for Communication and Information Technology, King Saud University.
- Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Chair for Environment and Wildlife at King Saud University.
- Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Chair for Contemporary Islamic Studies, King Saud University.
- Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Chair of International Prize for Water, King Saud University.
- Chair of Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Charity Foundation for people with special needs at King Saud University.
- The scientific chair of the Islamic minorities in King Abdulaziz University in Jeddah.
- Professorship Chair of Energy and Water Research at Prince Mohammed bin Fahd University in the Eastern Province.
- The Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Program for Arab and Islamic Studies at the University of Berkeley, California, USA, aims to teach Arabic and Islamic law, support visiting researchers, graduates and postgraduate students interested in studying topics that interested to the Arab and Islamic world, including language, history, sociology science, and human and other sciences. The program also aims at introducing the tolerant principles of Islam to bring the views of East and West closer together.
- Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Program for Academic and Cultural Cooperation with Oxford University to provide scholarships for Saudi students to study bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate in the field of humanities.
- Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Program to support Arabic Language at UNESCO.
- Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz special education program at the Arab Gulf University in the Kingdom of Bahrain to prepare and qualify specialists in the field of special education.
- Prince Sultan Center for Speech and Hearing in the Kingdom of Bahrain which aims to qualify people with hearing disabilities.
- King Abdulaziz Center for Islamic Sciences Studies, University of Bologna, Italy. The Center is concerned with the study of Islamic sciences, history, philosophy, Arabic language and Oriental languages.
- Prince Sultan Center for Environmental, Water and Desert Research at King Saud University.
- Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water, King Saud University.
Support Research and Scientific Projects:
As an extension of his belief in the importance of scientific research and its role in the service of humanity, His Highness supported many scientific and research projects at home and abroad, including:
- Support Prince Sultan University in Riyadh.
- Support Dar Al-Hikma College for Girls in Jeddah.
- Support disability research projects and centers for the disabled.
- Support centers for research and treatment of heart disease.
- Support aging research and dementia at King Saud University in Riyadh.
- Support the Wildlife Fund.
- Support the project of preparing the Atlas of satellite images of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Establish the Prince Sultan Cultural Center in Hail.
- Sponsor the Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz for the conservation of falcons.
- Establish Al-Ajyaal kindergartens in Palestine.
- Support Prince Salman Center for Disability Research in the amount of ten million Riyals annually
- Support Prince Fahad Bin Sultan University in Tabuk.
- Support King Saud University with an amount of SR 10 million annually.
- Support the Saudi School for Orphans in Pakistan.
- Support the medical project (Bakshgari) in Pakistan.
- Support the cancer treatment center in Morocco.
- Support Al-Azhar University in Egypt.
- Support girls’ shelters in the Philippines.
- Support the Islamic Center in Japan.
- Support the Supreme Council of Mosques in Germany.
- Support the cultural institution in Geneva.
- Support the Higher Arab Commission in Palestine.
- Support the encyclopedia project about the issue of Palestine.
- Support the Sultan Center for Endoscopic Surgery in Kosovo.
- Support and finance Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz International Program for Research Grants at King Saud University.
- Finance and support the Saudi Association for Economics and the Saudi Society for Information and Communication at King Saud University.
- Support scientific chairs at King Saud University with an amount of SR 50 million.
- Support a number of scientific societies and events in Saudi universities, along with a great and illuminated pages done by His Highness “May God’s mercy and accept it).